Thursday, October 8, 2009

plz learn how 2 write an e-mail

Dear Uninformed E-mail Writers,

I hope you will learn some things despite the increasing rates of text messaging. According to cellsigns.com, as of June 2008, over 75 billion texts are sent every month. That is such a huge number! I admit, I contribute to that number. But, I have not let text messaging language take over my ability to effectively communicate.

Not naming names, I received an e-mail from a freshman requesting help. Within the e-mail, there was random capitalization and punctuation was out of the question. Even though it pains me, I could overlook those two errors. However, when she included text messaging shorthand, I was devastated. Sure, I am a fellow student so it may not be as pertinent she write properly- but why get into that habit? We covered proper e-mail etiquette in freshman seminar and text messaging shorthand was not on the list of things to be sure to include.

This website offers tips regarding use of proper e-mail etiquette. Please read them, I promise you will benefit from what it has to say and come off just a little more competent.

Sincerely,
Concerned Peer Adviser/Fellow Student

0 comments: