Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Share the Love

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and that means most of the single population will be bitter and full of resentment towards those in relationships. Having been single and in a relationship, I can see both sides so celebrating the day is hard for me.

Being in a long distance relationship means I will technically be spending the big day alone but "in my heart" I won't be. I've decided that even though I am blessed to have had a meaningful valentine for the past three years doesn't mean I have to turn into one of those "mushy, lovey dovey" people who seem to make everyone want to throw up. Dan and I celebrate our relationship quietly together every single day but more attention is brought to it on holidays and I don't feel the need to make a big deal out of something that is there all the time.

To all the single people out there, please know that somewhere along the line we were all single and those of us in relationships don't do it to piss you off. Keep in mind that "love" being celebrated worldwide isn't just between lovers. Share love with your family, neighbor, the person who bags your groceries at the store...we all need some love.

I just saw a headline "Protesters Don't Feel the Love" with a subhead "Why They Hate Valentine's Day" in the story, it stated that extremists in India are threatening to beat up couples celebrating their love. How ridiculous is that? This prompts me to quote the ever annoying song "Where is the Love?" It's like saying I'm going to beat you up for being happy and celebrating it. It's amazing how much anger fills the world, even over Valentine's Day.

Whatever your status is tomorrow, please realize we're surrounded by people who need our love. Share it, who knows, you might end up having a great day.

0 comments: